The Standard Translation Process
1. Review / Research / Quotation (PM): Analyse enquiry, determine feasibility and necessary human / technical resources.
2. ORDER / Financials (Sales / Finance / PM)
3. REVIEW (PM): Project Manager review / research; administrative, technical and linguistic aspects according to the project specifications; source language content analysis.
4. PRE-PROCESSING (PM); Pre-processing of file(s) / formatting; necessary technical and pre-production tasks in order to prepare the source language content for translation.
5. SOURCING (PM / Resources): Source translator (and proofreader / other professionals) from linguist team: language, content, appropriateness for subject matter.
6. TRANSLATION (Translator - Machine): Machine translation OR
7. TRANSLATION (Linguist: Translator - Human): ISO 17100 process: compliance with specific domain and client terminology, semantic accuracy, syntax, spelling, punctuation, diacritical marks and other orthographical conventions, lexical cohesion and phraseology, locale and any applicable standards; formatting; target audience and purpose of the target language content. Self-revision; semantic, grammatical and spelling issues, and for omissions and other errors.
8. REVIEW (PM): Project Manager review / discussion of feedback.
9. PROOFREADING (Linguist: Proofreader - Human): A person other than the translator; examination of the target language content against the source language content for any errors and other issues, and its suitability for purpose. This shall include comparison of the source and target language content.
10. REVIEW (PM): PM review / QA check. Final delivery review; final verification of the project against specifications by the PM before delivery to the client.
11. POST PROCESSING (PM): Post-processing of file(s); technical, formatting.
TYPESETTING (optional) (Typesetter): Typesetting of translations into artwork format; InDesign, etc.
12. DELIVERY (PM): Delivery by the agreed deadline, in the agreed format.
With or after delivery:
13. Feedback (PM): A process for handling client feedback, for assessment of client satisfaction and for making appropriate corrections and/or taking corrective action. If there is a need to implement any corrections, the work will be redelivered to the client.
14. Glossary / Translation Memory (PM): Translations may be retained in our Translation Memory (TM) software, allowing for consistency and cost savings in future.
Alternative Process Options
Click to enlarge.